Dramatic Winged Liner with Purple Lipstick
Cosmetics and Beauty Blog: http://www.CosmeticsAndBeautyBlog.com
Music: “Full Throttle” by Rick Clarke
Free to use music for your YouTube videos: http://www.music4yourvids.co.uk/
Looking for reviews on Airbrush Makeup Systems?: http://www.airbrushmakeupsystemhq.com/
The following items are used in this video:
– Lorac POREfection Mattifying Face Primer: http://bit.ly/ZeQh4M
– Benefit Fakeup hydrating crease-control concealer in “medium”: http://bit.ly/Wkn8XJ
– Dermablend Concealer Brush: http://bit.ly/ZeQswQ
– Urban Decay Naked Skin Liquid Foundation in “7.0”: http://bit.ly/ZeQCV8
– Urban Decay Good Karma Optical Blurring Brush: http://bit.ly/WWpUX0
– Lorac PRO Palette Eye Shadow: http://bit.ly/UgO3Sc
– Real Techniques Starter Kit: http://bit.ly/WMawWe
– Sigma E25 Blending Brush: http://bit.ly/S6DAH8
– Lorac Behind the Scenes Eye Primer: http://bit.ly/ZeR7hN
– INGLOT Duraline: http://bit.ly/WWqJyV
– Stila #4 Precision Eyeliner Brush: http://bit.ly/ZeRtoH
– Essence Cosmetics Stays No Matter What Waterproof Eyeliner in “Smokey Grey”: http://bit.ly/XZdppe
– Pop Beauty Smokey Lash Kapow!!!: http://bit.ly/ZeRTLV
– Real Techniques Core Collection: http://bit.ly/TQFvnl
– Essence Cosmetics Shimmer Powder in “Bella’s Secret” (Limited Edition)
– Smashbox Halo Long Wear Blush in “Warm Glow”: http://bit.ly/13e7eoC
– Essence Cosmetics Blush Brush
– Wet N Wild Color Icon Lip Liner in “Willow”: http://bit.ly/YsY3Jb
– Graftobian Flat Mixing Spatula: http://bit.ly/13e7Ydp
– INGLOT Freedom System Colour Play Lipstick in “99”
This is not a sponsored video. May contain affiliate links.
Makeup Primer 101 Crash Course
What is a primer?
Makeup primer is a vital step to take before applying foundation. Consistencies vary from company to company. Some have a silicone base and others are water-based. You can check the ingredient list on the packaging to determine which kind you are working with. Some may feel more comfortable on your skin than others, but they all serve the same purpose which is to enhance the appearance and wearing time of your foundation.
How does primer work?
Primer fills in any fine lines, wrinkles and enlarged pores on your face. By doing this, it provides a smooth, even surface so that your foundation will distribute flawlessly across your face without settling in fine lines, wrinkles or making enlarged pores more noticeable.
How do you apply primer?
You can use a makeup sponge, foundation brush or your fingers. It mostly depends on your personal preference and the consistency of the formula. I find as a makeup artist, that silicone-based primers apply better using my fingertips whereas water-based primers allow for better application with foundation brushes or makeup sponges.
When you apply primer, start off with only a pea-sized amount. This oftentimes is enough for your entire face. If you find that you need more after using up that amount, you can always add more. When using your fingertips to apply a silicone-based primer, make sure to smooth it gently onto your skin. Don’t rub it in like a moisturizer. Excessive rubbing will break down the formulation of the primer and cause your foundation to go on unevenly. If you opt for using a foundation brush or makeup sponge to apply a water-based primer, use quick light strokes.
Types of Makeup Primer
Aside from primers being silicone- or water-based, there numerous other types of formulations such as:
- Oil-Free: This kind is ideal for oily skin types that find that makeup “slides” off their skin throughout the day
- Hydrating: Excellent for dry skin types as well as mature skin to not only enhance the appearance of foundation but give the skin a moisturizing boost
- SPF: Usually this will consist of a standard primer formulation paired with a sun protection factor such as SPF 15
- Illuminating: These give the skin a healthy glow that compliments the even tone that a foundation facilitates
- Bronzing: Would you like to achieve a J. Lo glow? This is her beauty secret!
- Color Correcting: Using color theory some primers will use green pigments to counteract redness, peachy tones to disguise freckles and purples to tone down yellow-cast hues
- Anti-aging: These will often be formulated with peptides, antioxidants and vitamins to give your skin a healthy kick
- Mattifying: Helps to control oil throughout the day. Great for oily skin types or combination skin with an oily T-zone
It seems every week that a new primer is introduced to the makeup world. Which one is the best? Only you can decided which one works the best for your skin and the makeup look that you wish to achieve. So get out there and get priming!
Do you use primer? What has your experience been like? Questions? Comments? Tips? I would love to hear from you! Please comment and subscribe.
Heather N King
This is not a sponsored post. May contain affiliate links.