Sephora Favorites are Back!
Sephora Favorites are back in time for the upcoming holidays. Product loyalty is not a virtue of mine. I love to try lots of different makeup, skincare and other miscellaneous cosmetics. Every time around this year I am excited to see what collection of mini and full size products Sephora has thrown together for our wandering eye pleasure.
Red is one of my favorite colors so naturally I’m drawn to this red box full of makeup and skin care. Let me not bore you with my endless jibber jabber. This set include 10 items – and 5 of them are FULL SIZE! Here’s what’s inside:
- Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder
- Sephora Collection Microsmooth Baked Eyeshadow Trio in Sunset
- Nars Blush in Orgasm (FULL SIZE)
- Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer
- Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment
- Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil
- Benefit They’re Real! Mascara
- Buxom Big & Healthy Lip Polish in Dolly
- Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner
- Chloé Rollerball
Sephora Favorites Draw the Line Eyeliner Sampler
Just as I am loyal to no brand, I am just as unfaithful to any certain kind of eyeliner. Liquid? Cream? Pencil? I love it all! You can never have too many black liners in your collection. So go ahead and add six more (3 deluxe size & 3 FULL SIZE):
- Smashbox Jet Set Waterproof Eye Liner in Midnight Black (FULL SIZE)
- MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Eyes Waterproof Eyeliner in Mat Black
- Buxom Insider Eyeliner in Black Jasper
- Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper
- Urban Decay 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner in Perversion (FULL SIZE)
- Sephora Collection Waterproof Retractable Eyeliner in 09 Glitter Black (FULL SIZE)
Sephora Favorites Lash Stash Sephora Favorites Lash Stash is one of the most anticipated Sephora Favorites for me. I go through mascara very fast, because I throw out whatever mascara I am using every month. If I keep a mascara longer than a month, my eyes get itchy. It’s always been that way. This allows me to not only try out a ton of new mascaras, but is kinder on my wallet as well. This year’s collection has 13(!) items: 2 FULL SIZE, 8 deluxe size, 1 eyelash primer and even a set of false lashes with a tiny tube of glue!
- Tarte multiplEYE – Clinically Proven Lash Enhancing Primer
- Sephora Collection Outrageous Volume Mascara in Ultra Black
- Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes! In Black
- Lancôme Hypnôse Drama Mascara in Excessive Black
- Korres Volcanic Minerals Volumizing Mascara in Obsidian Black
- Clinique High Impact Mascara in Black
- Benefit They’re Real! Mascara in Black
- Buxom Lash in Blackest Black
- Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Volumizing Mascara in Black
- Sephora Collection False Eye Lashes in Flutter
- Sephora Collection Eyelash Glue
- Beautenizer Fiberwig in Black (FULL SIZE)
- Smashbox Full Exposure Mascara in Jet Black (FULL SIZE) – THIS IS MY FAVORITE MASCARA!
Sephora Favorites Glitz and Glam Party Sampler
This collection has 9 glittery and golden products (3 FULL SIZE). I’m really digging the metallic clutch that they come in. Now I’m dreaming of a New Year’s Eve party…
- Stila Duo Shimmer Powder in Kitten
- Laura Mercier Baked Eye Color – Wet/Dry in Black Karat
- bareMinerals Eyecolor in Good Fortune
- SEPHORA by OPI Nail Colour in Looks Like Rain Dear
- Josie Maran GOGO Instant Natural Volume Argan Mascara in Black
- Nars Body Glow
- Lorac 3D Liquid Lustre Gold
- Bare Escentuals Marvelous Moxie Lipgloss in Trail Blazer
- Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner in Starfish
Bronze, illuminate and blush yourself! This set has everything you need to make it happen: 3 blushes, 3 bronzer and 3 luminizers. All of the sizes are minis but with products from Tarte, Nars, and Benefit, who can complain?
- Benefit High Beam
- Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzing Powder
- Tarte Natural Cheek Stain in Flush
- Stila Convertible Color in Peony
- Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hour Blush in Splendor
- Lorac Perfectly Lit Oil-Free Luminizing Powder in Spotlight
- bareMinerals All Over Face Color in Pure Radiance
- Laura Mercier Shimmer Bloc in Golden Mosaic
- Nars Bronzing Powder in Laguna
Sephora Favorites Give Me Some Lip
Just like you can never have too many black eyeliners in your collection, you can never have enough lip gloss, lip tint or lip care. This set has 4 minis and 2 FULL SIZE:
- Fresh Sugar Rosé’ Tinted Lip Treatment (sheer berry rose)
- Hourglass Extreme Sheen High Shine Lip Gloss in Child (sheer nude)
- Bite Beauty Lip Shine in Vintage (sheer mauve)
- Laura Mercier Lip Glace in Baby Doll (soft pink shimmer)
- Tarte LipSurgence™ Natural Matte Lip Tint in Hope (warm rose) (FULL SIZE)
- Sephora Collection Glossy Gloss in Precious Pink (very sheer pink with iridescent shimmer) (FULL SIZE)
Sephora Favorites Beauty and the Bride Beauty and the Bride sampler set is only available online! Just because we’re getting into the winter months, doesn’t mean we can’t still have a summery flush of a bride on her big day. That’s the beauty of makeup, this set has makeup to give you that fresh faced and slightly flushed look while minimizing pores and keeping oil at bay. Four FULL-SIZED items are included in this 11-piece sampler set:
- Josie Maran Argan Oil Color Stick in Rosy (dusty rose)
- Stila Eye Shadow in Kitten (shimmering nude pink) (FULL SIZE)
- Sephora by O.P.I. Nail Colour in True Romantic (sheer cool light pink)
- Benefit The Porefessional
- Lancôme Juicy Tubes in Spring Fling
- Tarte Lights, Camera, Splashes! Mascara in black
- bareMinerals Prime Time Eyelid Primer (FULL SIZE)
- Sephora Collection Flashy Liner Waterproof in Flashy Black (FULL SIZE)
- Buxom® Big & Healthy™ Lipstick in Brooklyn (harvest fig)
- Boscia Green Tea Blotting Linens (100 sheets) (FULL SIZE)
- Flora by Gucci Eau Fraîche
- Voucher for a complimentary Special Occasion Makeover at the Sephora in-store Beauty Studio
- Reusable keepsake box
Do you have any of these sampler sets? Which one do you want the most? How do you like them? I would love to hear your thoughts! Please subscribe and comment!
Heather N King
Makeup Primer 101 Crash Course
What is a primer?
Makeup primer is a vital step to take before applying foundation. Consistencies vary from company to company. Some have a silicone base and others are water-based. You can check the ingredient list on the packaging to determine which kind you are working with. Some may feel more comfortable on your skin than others, but they all serve the same purpose which is to enhance the appearance and wearing time of your foundation.
How does primer work?
Primer fills in any fine lines, wrinkles and enlarged pores on your face. By doing this, it provides a smooth, even surface so that your foundation will distribute flawlessly across your face without settling in fine lines, wrinkles or making enlarged pores more noticeable.
How do you apply primer?
You can use a makeup sponge, foundation brush or your fingers. It mostly depends on your personal preference and the consistency of the formula. I find as a makeup artist, that silicone-based primers apply better using my fingertips whereas water-based primers allow for better application with foundation brushes or makeup sponges.
When you apply primer, start off with only a pea-sized amount. This oftentimes is enough for your entire face. If you find that you need more after using up that amount, you can always add more. When using your fingertips to apply a silicone-based primer, make sure to smooth it gently onto your skin. Don’t rub it in like a moisturizer. Excessive rubbing will break down the formulation of the primer and cause your foundation to go on unevenly. If you opt for using a foundation brush or makeup sponge to apply a water-based primer, use quick light strokes.
Types of Makeup Primer
Aside from primers being silicone- or water-based, there numerous other types of formulations such as:
- Oil-Free: This kind is ideal for oily skin types that find that makeup “slides” off their skin throughout the day
- Hydrating: Excellent for dry skin types as well as mature skin to not only enhance the appearance of foundation but give the skin a moisturizing boost
- SPF: Usually this will consist of a standard primer formulation paired with a sun protection factor such as SPF 15
- Illuminating: These give the skin a healthy glow that compliments the even tone that a foundation facilitates
- Bronzing: Would you like to achieve a J. Lo glow? This is her beauty secret!
- Color Correcting: Using color theory some primers will use green pigments to counteract redness, peachy tones to disguise freckles and purples to tone down yellow-cast hues
- Anti-aging: These will often be formulated with peptides, antioxidants and vitamins to give your skin a healthy kick
- Mattifying: Helps to control oil throughout the day. Great for oily skin types or combination skin with an oily T-zone
It seems every week that a new primer is introduced to the makeup world. Which one is the best? Only you can decided which one works the best for your skin and the makeup look that you wish to achieve. So get out there and get priming!
Do you use primer? What has your experience been like? Questions? Comments? Tips? I would love to hear from you! Please comment and subscribe.
Heather N King
BeautyBar.com Sample Society with Allure Magazine
I am super excited about this and was just dying to share this with all of you. BeautyBar.com Sample Society with Allure Magazine is offering limited spots to become a member of the Sample Society! Each month members will receive five deluxe-sized samples of ranging from makeup and skincare all the way to hair care and high-end fragrance. Some of the brands they have cited as participating in this program are Murad, Stila, Alterna, Diptyque, By Terry, Kate Somerville, and Oscar de la Renta fragrance.
The cost of the membership is $15 a month and can easily be cancelled at any time. BeautyBar.com Sample Society is even offering a full year subscription to Allure Magazine at no extra cost. Along with your monthly shipment of goodies to try, you will also receive a $15 gift code that can be redeemed on any purchase of $50 or more. That means your monthly membership fee pays for itself!
When I saw the ad for the BeautyBar.com Sample Society in Allure magazine, I figured that all of the limited membership spots had already been filled since I was a bit late getting the new issue this month. But lucky me, I got in! I hope that you get in, too!
The BeautyBar.com Sample Society also has a nice little charity program in place. They have agreed to donate up to $30 to charity for every person who chooses to visit their site and place their first order using the promo code HEAT290273. The charitable organization that they will make donations to is The Feed Foundation. Isn’t it cool to be able to do a good deed while pampering ourselves with retail therapy?
My first shipment of deluxe-sized samples will be shipped October 10th. Once they arrive, I will try them out and do some reviews for everyone. I can’t wait!
Have you heard about this program or a similar one? I would love to hear about your experiences, comments, and questions. Please subscribe and comment!
Heather N King